India returned after winning six medals at the ASBC Asian Women’s Boxing Championships Wulanchabu 2015. Sarjubala and Meenakumari had to be content with bronze medals. India’s lone silver medal was won by Saweety in light weight (81kg).
Indian team was represented by 10 boxers and 6 boxers won medals. Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Pinki Rani (51kg), Priyanka Chaudhary (60kg), Monica Saun (69kg) and Pavitra (64kg) lost their prelims bouts.
World Youth Boxing Championship 2011 and Presidents Boxing Cup 2015 and current world ranked number 3 boxer Shamjetsabam Sarjubala had a smooth campaign in the championship until she lost to the host’s and Chinese boxer E Naiyan.Overall the performance of the Indian team was good. The medal winners of Indian team in this championship are;
1. Shamjetsabam Sarjubala (Light Fly Weight-49kg) – bronze,
2. Maisnam Meenakumari (Bantam Weight-54kg) – bronze
3. Pwilao Basumatary (Feather Weight-57kg) — bronze
4. Pooja Rani (Middle Weight-75kg) – bronze
5. Saweety (Light Heavy Weight-81kg) – silver
6. Seema Poonia (Heavy Weight- over 81kg) – bronze